The mission of this program is to provide training in multidisciplinary competencies to students who have previously earned a master’s degree in any field related to psychology, social and behavioral sciences, education, or health. This doctorate addresses the need for advanced training for those who wish to develop the skills needed to teach at the university level or engage in professional consultation and research. Moreover, it retains the traditional emphasis of a PhD. program on statistics and research skills.
The curricular sequence of this program, which is only offered at the San Juan Campus, includes 56 credits of coursework and academic experience. Additionally, the students complete a doctoral dissertation and an academic article that is ready for submission to a peer-reviewed journal. The training model is based on achieving competencies in the following specialized skills:
- Developing needs assessments for educational and social services organizations
- Developing and evaluating programs
- Preparing remedial strategies to improve the quality of programs and services
- Developing and evaluating curriculums
- Conducting research projects
- Preparing and submitting articles for academic journals
- Applying consultation models and strategies
- Applying knowledge of teaching strategies and styles
Available in the following locations:SJU
2 research practice modules (150 hours per internship, 300 in total)
1 teaching practice module (100 hours)
3 ½ years
Minimum of 2 ½ years
- This doctorate takes approximately three (3) years to complete.
- Once the doctorate is completed, our graduates will be trained to take on professional roles as consultants, researchers, and teachers in various academic or social settings.
- From the first year, the program provides theoretical and practical experience through courses related to the acquisition of skills in consulting, teaching, and research. In these courses, opportunities arise to apply the knowledge acquired through various experiences inside and outside the classroom.
- Our program has three specializations: Consulting, Research, and Teaching. These are developed at an advanced level.
- Our program focuses on integrating our students in statistics courses with students from other academic programs. This opportunity encourages collaborative work.
- Currently, our faculty consists of doctors from various specialties of psychology. Among these, we have doctors in industrial/organizational psychology, school psychology, clinical psychology, and psychology focused on consulting, research, and teaching. Our faculty is comprised of professionals who work in different settings, such as private practice, multinational organizations, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), public organizations, schools, and consulting, among others.
- Evidence of having completed a master's degree in social or behavioral sciences, education, or health from an accredited university.
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants who did not pursue a major in psychology must complete 15 credits (5 courses of 3 credits each) in psychology to qualify for an admissions assessment for the selected program. For more information please consult with your admissions advisor.
- The candidate may request a maximum credit validation of 21 credits from another accredited institution. Applicants with a master’s degree from Albizu University (AU) may opt for the program and transfer relevant credits.
- Negative criminal record certificate, which you can request online at http://www.pr.gov/citizenportal.
- Original health certificate.
- Proof of hepatitis-B vaccination.
- Certificate of Vaccination of the Department of Health (PVAC-3, green form) with original signature of the issuing physician. Applies only to applicants who are 21 years of age or younger at the time of admission. Act No. 25 of 1983 (on immunization) requires that all students 21 years of age or younger, who wish to enter any educational institution in the country, provide an original copy of their PVAC-3 to show that they comply with the minimum immunization requirements. For more information, visit: http://www.salud.gov.pr/Dept-de-Salud/Pages/Unidades-Operacionales/Secretaria-Auxiliar-de-Salud-Familiar-y-Servicios-Integrados/Division-de-Inmunizacion-Vacunacion.aspx
- International students must present the evaluation of their academic credentials certified by a duly authorized agency.
Note: Albizu University reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
Albizu University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and licensed by the Commission for Independent Education of the Florida Department of Education.