The Master of Science Degree in Exceptional Student Education with a concentration in Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is designed for students who wish to obtain a teaching certification in the State of Florida. The purpose of this program of only 36 credits of coursework is to prepare culturally sensitive educators to respond to the special and unique needs of children with exceptionalities in grades K - 12.
Albizu's unique program design integrates the study and understanding of human behavior and sensitivity towards culturally diverse populations. It is infused with psychological principles to better prepare teachers for the demands of classroom teaching in a multicultural setting. A highlight of the program is the completion of an action research capstone course in which the student uses instructional strategies, methodologies, curriculum development, educational technology, behavior management and assessment to affect change in the context of an educational environment under the supervision of a faculty mentor.
Opportunities for professionals with a Master of Science Degree in Exceptional Student Education are in K – 12 education, academia, research or consulting in public or private organizations, and leadership positions in public or private service agencies, among others. The mean annual wage for Medical and Health Services Managers is $93,670.00 or $45.03 an hour.
Available on the following locationsMIA
Time it takes to complete
- This program is offered in a fully online and hybrid modality.
- Students will be equipped to work in K-12 education both in the classroom and as school leaders, behavior management consultants, leadership in public and private agencies.
- Our program stands out due to the capstone project which is systematic and rigorous- student write a literature review and conduct a capstone project in 15 weeks; most students do their projects in MDC k-12 schools, provides students whose projects excel with the opportunity to prepare their work for publication, and students have a faculty advisor/mentor throughout the program.
- The program provides a quality educational opportunity in graduate pedagogic training for its students that consists of both theory and practical knowledge as well as the attitudes necessary to effectively apply their training in the classroom setting.
- Students from any undergraduate program can apply to the program but primarily undergraduate elementary and ESE programs.
- Alumni learn to incorporate unique methodologies and interventions for transitioning students from elementary to middle school, middle school to high school, high school to community settings, and from family supported to independent living. They are exposed to a variety of curriculum development and enhancement strategies within the context of exceptional student education and develop an appreciation in each student for the individual worth and dignity of all people regardless of background, origin, and life circumstances.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0) scale at the undergraduate level.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- Complete the online application form at https://apply.albizu.edu
- Copy of Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a professor, employer, or a community leader.
- A maximum of six (6) credits can be transferred from another graduate program at the discretion of the Academic Program Director. Only courses with a grade of B or better can be accepted for transferred coursework.
- International students must submit an official evaluation of academic credentials by an authorized agency.
- A statement of purpose, which should be double spaced and one page in length providing a clear indication of the applicants interest in the field, career goals, and how the applicant expects Albizu University to contribute to such goals.
After all the required documentation is received and an interview completed by the Office of Admissions, academic program advisors reach out to successful candidates with program direction and advisement.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education