The Master of Science in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at Albizu University (AU) prepares students to meet the growing demand for culturally competent educators, capable of responding to the needs of students with limited or no English proficiency. Along with AU’s Education Department faculty, students work on learning activities that incorporate technologies, sound pedagogy, practice, and research methods used in this expanding interdisciplinary field.
This Master in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) online program integrates studies in education and language acquisition with a unique focus on cultural diversity and exceptional student behavior. Based on the fundamental concepts of English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) education, students learn to use methodologies and interventions designed to enhance English language learning. This degree program, with its concentration in Exceptional Student Education, provides students with the added advantage of being able to identify and address specific behavioral and emotional difficulties in children.
The TESOL Master of Science program is fully online, consists of 30 credits, and is designed for completion in a minimum of 18 months. This flexibility means students can earn a degree while continuing to pursue a career in any part of the world where TESOL instructors are needed to meet the growing demand for English language skills. Classes are taught by an expert group of faculty members with practical experience in the field. The Master in Teaching English as a Second Language online curriculum prepares students in the following practical areas of teaching English to speakers of other languages:
- Instructional strategies
- Language education methodologies
- Curriculum development
- ESOL educational technology
- Remediation of communication disorders
As cultural and linguistic diversity has become widespread, TESOL professionals are in high demand. They are sought by schools with large non-English speaking populations, as well as by programs that help adults improve their written and spoken English skills. Graduates of this TESOL program are employed by private and public schools, government agencies, and higher education institutions.
Available in the following locations:Virtual
1 ½ years
- This English to Speakers of Other Languages program provides students with a dynamic environment, full of people who are passionate and committed to education.
- Students will have access to faculty advisors, support services, career fairs, an online virtual library, and more.
- Students will get the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to conduct and interpret research in education. They will learn to foster advanced communication skills, which will lead to positive student-teacher and parent-teacher relationships. Moreover, they will develop the skills needed for competent classroom management with an emphasis on psychoeducational strategies that are appropriate across cultural groups and incorporate advanced educational technology within different learning modalities (e.g., auditory, visual, tactile).
- This Master of Science in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program is offered online.
- Alumni will be equipped to work in K-12 education ESOL programs and adult ESOL programs. They will also be able to play active roles in school leadership, as well as become curriculum developers and TESOL consultants in public and private agencies.
- Our program stands out due to its systematic and rigorous capstone project. In this program, students write a literature review and conduct a capstone project in 15 weeks (most students conduct their projects in MDC K-12 schools). Students who excel in the project are granted the opportunity to prepare their work for publication.
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the undergraduate level.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- Results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Only scores from exams taken within the last five years will be accepted.
- Complete online application for admission.
- Copy of resume or curriculum vitae that summarizes the applicant’s credentials.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a professor, employer, or a community leader (in accordance with the AU format).
- A maximum of six (6) credits can be transferred from another graduate program at the discretion of the academic program director. Only courses with a grade of “B” or above can be accepted for transferred coursework.
- Official evaluation of academic credentials by an authorized agency (in the case of international students).
- A statement of purpose, which should be double spaced and one-page long. It should provide a clear indication of the applicant’s interest in the field and their career goals. In addition, it should also explain how the applicant expects Albizu University to contribute to those goals.
Albizu University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).