The Master of Science Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program at Albizu University prepares students to meet the growing demand for culturally competent educators capable of responding to the needs of students with limited or no English proficiency. Students work with AU’s Education Department faculty on learning activities that incorporate the technologies, sound pedagogy, practice, and research methods used in this expanding interdisciplinary field.
The program integrates studies in education and language acquisition with a unique focus on cultural diversity and exceptional student behavior. Students learn to use methodologies and interventions designed to enhance English language learning, based on the fundamental concepts of ESOL education. The concentration in Exceptional Student Education provides students with the added advantage of being able to identify and address specific behavioral and emotional difficulties in children.
The TESOL program is fully online and consists of 30 credits. It is designed for completion in as few as 18 months and is a fully online program. This flexibility means students can earn a degree while continuing to pursue a career anywhere in the world that TESOL instructors are needed to meet the growing need for English language skills. Classes are taught by an expert group of faculty with real-life experiences in the field. The curriculum prepares students in the following practical areas of teaching English to speakers of other languages:
- Instructional Strategies
- Language Education Methodologies
- Curriculum Development
- ESOL Educational Technology
- Remediation of Communication Disorders
As cultural and linguistic diversity has become widespread, TESOL professionals are in high demand. They are sought by schools with large non-English speaking populations, as well as by programs that help adults improve their written and spoken English skills. Graduates of the M.S. TESOL program are employed by private and public schools, government agencies, and higher education institutions.
Available on the following locationsVirtual
Time it takes to complete
- The program provides students a dynamic environment, full of people who are passionate and committed to education.
- Students will have access to a faculty advisor, support services, online virtual library, career fairs, and others.
- Students will get the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to conduct and interpret research in education. They learn to foster the development of advanced communication skills, which lead to great teacher-student and teacher-parent relationships. Besides, they develop the skills needed for competent classroom management with emphasis on psychoeducational strategies that are appropriate across cultural groups and which incorporate advanced educational technology within different learning modalities (e.g., auditory, visual, tactile).
- This program is offered in an online modality.
- Alumni will be equipped to work in K-12 education ESOL programs and adult ESOL programs. They will also be able to play active roles in school leadership; work as curriculum developers and TESOL consultants in public and private agencies.
- Our program stands out due to the capstone project, which is systematic and rigorous. In this program, students write a literature review and conduct a capstone project in 15 weeks --most students conduct their projects in MDC K-12 schools. Also, this project gives students whose work excel the opportunity to prepare their work for publication.
- Applicants must have a grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0) scale at the undergraduate level.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- Complete the online application form.
- Copy of Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a professor, employer, or a community leader.
- A maximum of six (6) credits can be transferred from another graduate program at the discretion of the Academic Program Director. Only courses with a grade of B or better can be accepted for transferred coursework.
- International students must submit an official evaluation of academic credentials by an authorized agency.
- A statement of purpose, which should be double spaced and one page in length providing a clear indication of the applicants interest in the field, career goals, and how the applicant expects Albizu University to contribute to such goals.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education