The Interdisciplinary Bachelor’s (BI) with a concentration in Speech and Language Therapy has the purpose of preparing professionals sensitive to cultural diversity, and respectful of individual differences, that contribute to the improvement of people's quality of life behavior.
This Speech Therapy Bachelor program with unique characteristics in Puerto Rico establishes the necessary conditions for students to develop their ability to think, investigate and produce intellectually, leading them towards success in their studies.
Our Speech Therapy Bachelor program can be completed in three (3) years and two (2) semesters. Also, this SLP program incorporates a multicultural and global perspective, by adding a third language as a requirement, and participation in an international experience.
The concentration of Speech and Language Therapy integrates theory and practice in their clinical exercises, so that the student acquires the necessary skills that enable him to treat special populations, with conditions such as mental retardation, learning disabilities, autism, reading and writing difficulties, voice and fluency disorders, hearing impairments and articulation and phonology disorders, among others.
Graduates of the speech therapy bachelor program may offer speech and language screening, talks and guidance, and may also intervene in the therapy of individuals from 0 to 21 years old, under the supervision of a speech pathologist and licensed language. They will also have the option of applying to the Board of Examiners for Speech Pathologists, Audiologists and Speech Therapists, the license of speech and language therapist in Puerto Rico.
According to the Employment Statistics by Occupation in Puerto Rico, of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (work.pr.gov), for the year 2011, the average starting salary ranges between $ 25,000 and $ 38,000 annually (payscale.com/research/US/Job ).
Time to complete
3 years and two semesters
- SLP students have the opportunity to study with physicians who are graduates or teach courses in various graduate programs, including the Speech and Language Pathology program. In addition, they are integrated into various educational activities with students of the psychology therapy concentration.
- The faculty of the program has mostly doctorates or masters in their areas of expertise. The intellectual productivity of the faculty is evidenced by presentations and publications in local and international forums.
- The program incorporates a multicultural and global perspective into its courses, as evidenced by the requirements to learn a third language (Portuguese) and participate in an international experience.
- The Speech Therapy Bachelor program offers courses in classroom, hybrid, and online. The faculty integrates various teaching methodologies including laboratories, technology integration, visits to external centers, clinical observations, internships, clinical practice, visits to historic sites in Old San Juan.
- Graduates of the Speech and Language Therapy program may offer speech and language screening, talks and guidance, and may also intervene in the therapy of individuals from 0 to 21 years old, under the supervision of a licensed speech and language pathologist. They will also have the option of applying to the
- Board of Examination of Speech Pathologists, Audiologists and Speech Therapists, the license of speech and language therapist in Puerto Rico.
Students complete a 100-hour clinical practice in which they have the opportunity to practice skills learned in speech and language therapy centers under the supervision of Speech and Language Pathologists.
- General high school average or GPA (Grade Point Average) of 2.00 on a 4.0 or transfer scale from another university institution.
- Access the following link to complete your application for admission.
- In addition, you can digitally attach your admission requirements in PDF format.
- Submit transcripts of official high school credits struck and sealed.
|ALBIZU UNIVERSITY||ALBIZU UNIVERSITY|
|ADMISSIONS OFFICE||UNIVERSITY CENTER OF MAYAGUEZ|
|PO BOX 9023711||PO BOX 3476|
|SAN JUAN, PR 00902-3711||MAYAGUEZ, PR 006981-3476|
- Results of the university studies admission test University Admission Test - PAA known as the College Board Test, or the SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test). You can access a free review guide in the College Board Test Study Guide. For information and testing schedule of the PEAU, you can access https://latam.collegeboard.org/ . You can access the SAT exam at https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from a teacher, employer, or community leader. UCA format.
- Negative Criminal Record Certificate. You can apply online.
- Original Health Certificate
- Hepatitis-B Vaccination Test.
- Certificate of Vaccination of the Department of Health (PVAC-3-green leaf) with original signature of the issuing physician. Applies only to applicants 21 years of age or younger, at the time of admission. Act No. 25 of 1983, Immunization Law, requires that all students 21 years of age or younger, who are interested in entering any educational institution in the Country, submit an original of their Certificate of Immunization (PVAC-3) to show that meets the minimum immunization requirements. More information.
- International students must present the evaluation of their academic credentials certified by a duly authorized agency.
The institution reserves the right of admission to candidates who do not meet the minimum requirements. Considering exceptional admission criteria: Minimum cumulative general average of high school or equivalent, or transfer from another institution of higher education of 1.80 GPA (Grade Point Average). Admitted applicants will have a semester to meet the satisfactory academic progress applicable to their academic level, so that they remain active students of the program for the rest of the course of study.
NOTE: The Institution reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
After all the required documentation is received and an interview completed by the Office of Admissions, academic program advisors reach out to successful candidates with program direction and advisement.
Middle State Commision on Higher Education