Find A Location


International Students

Albizu University is an institution that provides educational opportunities to students from more than 50 countries. Our programs provide international students with extensive exposure to culturally diverse populations through academic and applied training. The importance of global learning and powerful experiences are highlighted in our Institution. You will feel at home in a community of diverse culture and international perspectives.

Carlos Albizu University is committed to providing educational opportunities for students from other countries as means of promoting understanding and cooperation between diverse populations. Albizu is authorized under federal law to accept non-immigrant foreign students for enrollment. All international students must obtain their F-1 visas prior to arrival in the United States.

You can apply as an international student complying with one of the following options:
  • As a possible student residing in your home country and applying for an academic program with an F-1 visa.
  • As a potential student who resides in the United States with a visa (excluding the student visa) and wishes to remain in the United States to participate in a study program.
  • As a student who currently attends another university in the United States with an F-1 visa and wishes to transfer to Albizu University.

Below, we provide you with a list of documents and procedures that we recommend you take into consideration when applying as an international student at Albizu.

The first step to becoming an international student at Albizu University is to apply for admission and be accepted as a full-time student. For information on how to apply, click here. If you need assistance with your application, please get in touch with our International Student Office. Contact information can be found here. Note that at this time we are accepting international students for programs at the Miami campus only.

After you have received your acceptance letter (congratulations!), use this checklist of required documents to assist you as you prepare for your program of studies. Please send any forms or questions to your international student contact. See the Documents and Procedures section of this website for more information on each document listed below.

  1. Proof of financial support for your tuition and living expenses during your program. You can pay these costs yourself or another person can help you pay them. Click here for more information, including links to the affidavits and supplemental documents you will need to submit to prove the availability of funds.
  2. One copy of each I-20 you have previously received (if applicable).
  3. One copy of your passport, which must be valid for at least the next 6 months.
  4. The AU Information Form for international students.
  5. If you are currently in your home country: After you receive your I-20 from Albizu University, you will need to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee. To pay the I-901 fee and complete the accompanying form, go to the Study in the States website. Attach the receipt for payment to your I-20 before your visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.If you are applying for a change of status: To change your nonimmigrant status, you must complete two separate U.S. government forms (I-539 and I-901) and pay the accompanying fees. Click here for the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539). Click here for the I-901 SEVIS Fee.If you are applying for a school transfer: After you are accepted into an Albizu University program, ask the international student advisor or other official at your current school to complete AU’s Transfer Eligibility Form for International Students and return it to us.
  6. The International Student Health Insurance Compliance Form, which demonstrates that you have obtained health insurance for yourself and any dependents traveling with you. The form must be submitted prior to the registration date for your first semester. If you are currently in your home country or are applying for a change of status, purchase health insurance after your student visa is approved.
  7. Each dependent (spouse and/or unmarried children under age 21) who will be residing with you during your studies must submit the following documents in order for us to issue an I-20 for that person: (a) copy of passport, (b) proof of financial support, (c) copy of I-94 (if applicable), (d) copy of all previous I-20 forms (if applicable).

Sample Letters

The International Student Office has prepared sample letters to assist with the following needs:

  • Bank documentation of funds available for studies abroad
  • Requests to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for a change of immigration status


The links at the left take you to the sample letters. In each case, the letters are intended to accompany other required documents, as specified in the Financial Support/Sponsorship and I-539 pages of the Documents and Procedures section of this site.

Please contact your Albizu University PDSO/DSO if you need further assistance.

The Tuition and Fees Table and cost of living calculator available through the links at the left will help you determine the cost of your program at Albizu University.



Per credit

For 12 credits

Per semester

Per semester






Speech &Language,





Psychology, Ind./Org.Psy.

























The costs above reflect full-time undergraduate or graduate study for one semester consisting of four courses, each worth three credits. Albizu University operates on a three-semester year. Multiply the total per semester by three to obtain the cost of studies for a full academic year.

For additional information, please see:

Cost of Living Calculator

In order to for Albizu University to issue the documents you need to apply for your F-1 visa, you must prove that you are able to pay for the cost of schooling and living expenses while in the United States. The cost of tuition and fees is easily obtained from the Tuition and Fees Table on this site, but it can be difficult to determine how much you will need to cover your living expenses, particularly if you are bringing any dependents with you to the United States.

The Economic Policy Institute (EPI), a nonprofit, nonpartisan think tank in the United States, understands that people—particularly people living on a low or moderate income—need to have a sense of what their living expenses might be. To meet this need, the EPI has created a Family Budget Calculator to measure the income an individual or family requires in order to have a modest yet adequate standard of living.

Click here to access the EPI’s Family Budget Calculator. Enter “Miami/Miami Beach/Kendall, FL” in the blue box to access the calculator for the greater Miami area and use the dropdown menus to the right of the box to select the number of adults and children in your family. The calculator will then display the monthly and annual costs of living in the metro Miami area.

To see exactly how the EPI determined the amounts for each category, move your mouse to the immediate right of a category name (such as “Housing”) and a small information button will appear. Click the button for more information on what the category includes and where the EPI obtained the cost for that category.

Note that, as an international student, you’ll be unlikely to owe any U.S. taxes, so you can subtract that amount from the total provided. You might also wish to reduce or increase the amounts in other categories. For example, the “Transportation” category assumes that you will own and operate a car. If you intend to get around by walking or using public transportation, your costs will be much lower. On the other hand, the “Food” category assumes that you will buy ingredients in a grocery store and prepare meals at home. If you plan to eat many of your meals in restaurants or frequently purchase takeout meals, your food costs will be higher.

Tips for International Students

Study abroad is an amazing experience, full of adventure. The exposure to new concepts and cultures will enhance your personal and professional pursuits throughout your life, but along with the excitement comes the stress of adapting to an unfamiliar environment.

Most international students agree that getting through the first month is hard, and you might experience confusion and psychological pressure. Please be reassured that this is a normal part of the adaptation process. The key is how you as an international student handle the situation. If you acknowledge the difficulties and prepare yourself for them, you’ll be able to approach this phase of your life with courage and enthusiasm.

Here are some tips to help you successfully meet the first month’s challenges.

Familiarize yourself with the culture: Before your trip, learn about the culture of the United States and Miami in particular. The International Student website offers extensive information on life in the United States geared specifically to students like you. Visit the Things to Do section of the Miami Visitor’s Bureau website to see the many cultural and recreational offerings in the area and learn about the city’s history and heritage.

Get a sense of the location: Make sure you’re familiar with the geographical location of the city, the climate, and other practical considerations. Miami has tropical weather, so leave your down parka behind! The Plan your Trip section of the Visitor’s Bureau website has helpful information on the weather, along with many other tips.

Choose your neighborhood: What kind of housing do you prefer, and what is important to you in your neighborhood? As you would at home, you’ll need to consider a variety of factors, such as cost, safety, Internet access, and proximity to the Albizu campus, shops, cultural and recreational activities, and medical care. If you’re not planning to buy or rent a car, you’ll want to look at the public transportation map and schedules and figure out how close you’d need to be to bus stops and how long it would take you to travel by bus to the places you’ll need to go. Being happy in your living environment is vital for your adaptation.

The International Student website includes practical tips on off-campus housing, transportation, and safety issues. To help with your search, the Rent Jungle website provides a map of the greater Miami area with icons for every apartment and house currently available for rent, including those in Doral, the neighborhood where Albizu University is located. Click on the icon to obtain basic information about that particular unit (such as size and price) and a link you can follow to learn more details. If you’d like to try to find a roommate, bring a flyer with relevant information to the Enrollment Management and Student Success, and they’ll post it on a bulletin board for other students to view.

Attend University activities: Stop by the Enrollment Management and Student Success or give them a call (305-593-1223, ext. 3245) to ask about activities for new students, such as Student Orientation. The office also plans many special events each semester. Make sure you get involved and participate in these activities. They’re an excellent way to make friends and to familiarize yourself with Albizu University.

Join a group: Albizu University has a number of student clubs and organizations that you’re welcome to join. Click here to view the current list and see if there’s a match for your area of interest.

Don’t be afraid to explore: Enjoy getting to know Miami. Now’s your chance to explore the neighborhoods, museums, parks, beaches, and other attractions you learned about before your trip. Ask other students if they’d like to go along with you on day or weekend trips to places such as the Orlando theme parks or the Florida Keys.

Be flexible: Keep yourself open to new textures, colors, flavors, and ways of thinking. Try different things. This is all part of the experience of living in another culture.

Don’t judge and don’t stereotype: Leave behind any feelings that will prevent you from growing as an individual experiencing a new way of life.

Take comfort in your own customs: Keeping in touch with your own customs can also be a helpful part of adjusting to living abroad. Albizu University may have other students or staff members from your country who can provide tips to help you through the adaptation process. See if you can find a restaurant where you can occasionally enjoy a meal just like you’d have back home.

Understand that it’s fine to feel alone sometimes: Remember that this is part of the adjustment process, even though it might seem at times as though no one understands you. Your international student advisor at Albizu University is always ready to talk things over with you when you need a friend. To fill some time in a way that benefits others and reminds you of all you can accomplish, consider volunteering at a local library, art museum, hospital, senior living facility, outreach center, or other venue. The organization VolunteerMatch enables you to match your interests to volunteer activities in the Miami area.

Have a clear goal: You’ve decided to study abroad for a reason. Embrace your decision, and go for it!

Credential evaluation services provide objective evaluations of the U.S. equivalents of foreign education and work credentials. Different terms are used for the same educational credentials around the world. In Spanish-speaking countries, for example, a bachiller corresponds to a U.S. high school diploma, even though the literal translation of the word is bachelor, which signifies an undergraduate college degree in the United States.

As part of the Albizu University admissions process, we will ask you to send us an evaluation of your official transcripts so that we can best determine how your previous academic work matches up with the university system you’ll be entering in the United States. It is your responsibility to contact a credential evaluation services to review your transcripts.

There are many foreign educational credential evaluation services. The following agencies, listed in alphabetical order, are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). NACES has stringent membership requirements that ensure that its members provide high-quality, reliable evaluations that are prepared with integrity.

Academic Evaluation Services, Inc.

5620 East Fowler Avenue, Suite E
Tampa, FL 33617
Phone: (813) 374-2020
Fax: (813) 374-2023

A2Z Evaluations, LLC
216 F Street, #29
Davis, CA 95616
Phone: (530) 400-9266

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203
Phone: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411

Educational Perspectives
P.O. Box A3462
Chicago, IL 60690
Phone: (312) 421-9300
Fax: (312) 421-9353

Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc.
601 University Avenue, Suite 127
Sacramento, CA 95825
Phone: (916) 921-0790
Fax: (916) 921-0793

3213 West Wheeler Street, #287
Seattle, WA 98199
Phone: (206) 257-4249

Evaluation Service, Inc.
333 West North Avenue, #284
Chicago, IL 60610
Phone: (847)-477-8569
Fax: (312)-587-3068

Foreign Academic Credentials Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
Phone: (618) 656-5291
Fax: (618) 656-5292

Evaluation Service, Inc.
333 West North Avenue, #284
Chicago, IL 60610
Phone: (847)-477-8569
Fax: (312)-587-3068

Foreign Academic Credentials Service, Inc.
P.O. Box 400
Glen Carbon, IL 62034
Phone: (618) 656-5291
Fax: (618) 656-5292

Foundation for International Services, Inc.
505 5th Avenue South, Suite 101
Edmonds, WA 98020
Phone: (425) 248-2255
Fax: (425) 248-2262

Global Credential Evaluators, Inc.
3515 – B Longmire Drive PMB 323
College Station, TX 77845
Phone: (800) 707-0979
Fax: (979) 690-6342

Global Services Associates, Inc.
409 North Pacific Coast Highway, #393
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Phone: (310) 828-5709
Fax: (310) 828-5709

International Academic Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 2465
Denton, TX 76202
Phone: (940) 383-7498

International Consultants of Delaware
3600 Market Street, Suite 450
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: (215) 243-5858

International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231
Phone: (310) 258-9451
Fax: (310) 342-7086

International Evaluation Service
Center for Applied Research, Evaluation, and Education, Inc.
P.O. Box 18358
Anaheim, CA 92817
Phone: (714) 237-9272
Fax: (714) 237-9279

SpanTran: The Evaluation Company
2655 Le Jeune Road, Suite 602
Coral Gables, FL 33134
Phone: (305) 749-0333

Transcript Research
590 Centerville Road, Box 107
Lancaster, PA 17601
Phone: (214) 810-1124
Fax: (888) 745-6756

World Education Services
Attention: Documentation Center
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100

Note: The information provided above has been verified as of July 2016 through direct contact with the listed agencies. We are not responsible for subsequent changes in agency information. If a listing is missing specific information (such as a fax number), the agency did not provide one to us.

Documents and procedures

It allows you to enter the United States or its territories, to complete a study program certified by the Exchange Students and Visitors Program (SEVP). Albizu University is a school approved by the SEVP.

If you are in the United States with another type of visa or if you are still in your home country, you must obtain an F-1 visa, regardless of the school you attend. The following steps will help you start the process to consider yourself as an international student in our Institution.

  1. You must apply for and be accepted at Albizu University as a full-time student. The Admissions Office is the office responsible for assisting you with your application for admission. For more information on how to apply, you can click [HERE].
  2. Once accepted, the Admissions Department will provide you with an acceptance letter for the academic program you have requested.
  3. Evidence that you have the economic availability to cover the costs relevant to your education and support while you are in the United States. Funding can come either from your resources or by sponsorship.
  4. The Admissions Office will confirm that it has complied with the required documentation. A document called a certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant student status or Form I-20 will be provided. Form I-20 is a paper record of your information in a government database called the Exchange Student and Visitor Information System (SEVIS). You must apply for your visa using the I-20 we provide. If you are already in the United States, you or one of your friends or family can pick up the form. Due to federal laws that protect a student's right to privacy, if a friend or family member withdraws their I-20, that person must present a photo ID along with a signed Third Party Consent Form. We can also mail Form I-20 to your home. If you want us to send it by express mail, you must pay the express delivery.
  5. Verify that your name and date of birth are correctly listed and written on Form I-20. They must match your passport information. If they are not correct, contact your Albizu admissions officer.
  6. The last step in the process is to pay your SEVIS I-901 fee. This rate helps support the SEVIS system. Attach the payment receipt to your I-20.

If you are outside the United States, you must obtain a visa through a U.S. embassy or consulate. UU. In your home country. The embassy or consulate website provides specific instructions on how to apply for a student visa. A US visa UU. It allows a foreign citizen to travel to an official port of entry (usually an airport) and request permission to enter the United States. After obtaining your F-1 visa, you can request entry to the United States through a port of entry no later than 30 days before the start date of the program on your Form I-20. We suggest you contact your Albizu admissions officer as soon as you enter the country so there is no doubt about your arrival date.

If you are already in the United States and request a change of status, you must complete an application to extend / change the nonimmigrant status (Form I-539).

Regardless of whether you are coming from your country or your visa status is changing, you must inform Albizu University before the start date of classes, thus avoiding a serious situation that may cause you to be asked to leave the United States. For details on the procedures and regulations of the F-1 visa, visit the Student Visa page of the United States Department of State website.

Please note that the United States cannot guarantee that you will be granted a visa, although the vast majority of applications are approved. It is recommended not to make final travel plans or buy tickets until you have your F-1 visa. Dependent family members (spouse and unmarried children under 21) who will reside with you during their studies may apply for F-2 visas. Please contact us for more information.

Certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant student status (Form I-20)

Once you have been accepted to the University of Albizu, we will send you a certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant student status or Form I-20. We will also send a Form I-20 for each of your dependents (spouse and unmarried children under 21), if applicable.

The data that appears on your I-20 is based on the information you provide. This data has been entered into the Student Visitor and Exchange Information System (SEVIS), a database of the US government. UU. It maintains information about international students, and I-20 is a hard copy of its file in SEVIS.

The website of the United States Department of Homeland Security provides examples of Form I-20 for students (F-1 visa) and their dependents.

To ensure that we have all the necessary information about you and the dependents that will travel with you, complete and submit the Albizu University Information Form.

Make sure your name, address and other information you provide us with and any dependent exactly matches your passport information (s) and other legal documents. You are also responsible for verifying Form I-20 when you receive it to ensure that all information is correct. If you find any error, you should contact us immediately.

Arrival / Departure Record (I-94)

I-94 is the Arrival and Departure Record, either in electronic or paper format, issued by a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer to foreign visitors entering the United States. When you enter the country, a CBP officer will examine your passport and visa to provide you with a stamp noted in your passport or a small white card called Form I-94. If arriving by air or by sea, arrival and departure records are created electronically and the passport stamp will be provided. If you arrive by land from Canada or Mexico, you will receive the paper card. In this case, there will not be an electronic record.

The passport admission stamp or I-94 paper card indicates how long you are allowed to remain in the United States (the "Admission until" date) and shows that you entered the country legally. As a student visa holder, your "Admission until" date will appear as "D / S", which means "Status duration". You can stay in the country as long as you maintain your F-1 status, that is, as long as you are enrolled full-time in your studies and your I-20 has not expired. You must keep your passport stamp or your I-94 card during your stay in the United States, so make sure you don't get lost.

If you are in the United States and are applying for admission as a transfer student or under a change of status, we will download a copy of your Electronic Arrival and Departure Record from the Department of Homeland Security website as part of the admission process. If you enter the country while outside the United States, we will download a copy of your registration after your arrival.

Until April 2013, visitors to the United States had to complete a paper form I-94. For more information on I-94 and the new automated process, see the US Customs and Border Protection I-94 Fact Sheet. UU.

SEVIS I-901 Rate

The SEVIS rate of I-901 helps support the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), a government database that facilitates international student programs in the United States. All universities that host international students have access to SEVIS so that the information can be stored in one place, which makes it easier to ensure that the records and forms are valid and up to date.

If you travel to the United States from another country or request a change of status within the United States, you must pay the I-901 fee after receiving your I-20. You will not be issued an F-1 visa unless you pay the fee.

For international students studying with an F-1 visa, the SEVIS I-901 fee as of September 2016 is $ 200. Spouses and dependent children traveling to the United States with F-2 visas do not have to pay a fee Please note that rates are subject to change.

Click here for detailed instructions on how to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. If you are outside the United States, attach the payment receipt to your I-20 before your visa interview at the United States embassy or consulate in your home country.

Application to extend / change nonimmigrant status (I-539)

If you are currently in the United States with a visitor visa or other temporary visa and wish to change to the F-1 student status to study at the University of Albizu, you must submit a Request to extend / change the nonimmigrant status (Form I-539) with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

You must mail the form and the corresponding fee to the address specified in the instructions. For a general description of the process, including contact phone numbers and addresses, you can consult the brochure prepared by USCIS for reference.

You may want to send a letter to USCIS along with the form to provide an overview of your intention.

If you are already studying in an academic institution of the USA. UU. with an F-1 visa and wish to transfer to Albizu University, it is not necessary to change the status of your visa.

If you are transferring to Albizu University from another school in the United States, ask the international student advisor at your current school to complete Albizu’s International Student Transfer Eligibility Form and return it to us. The information provided on the form will help ensure that your transfer goes smoothly.

Contact Us

The Albizu University International Student Office helps ensure that your study-abroad program is enjoyable and valuable and that you remain in compliance with immigration regulations. Please submit all required forms to the Admissions Officer/PDSO listed below, and do not hesitate to get in touch with any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!

International student contact: 

Francia Espinosa, Admissions Officer/PDSO
Albizu University
2173 NW 99th Avenue, Suite 150
Miami, FL 33172

Phone: (+1) 305-593-1223, ext. 3244 (direct line for Francia Espinosa) or 3137 (front desk of the Admissions Office)
Fax: (+1) 305-593-1854 (please write “ATT: Francia Espinosa” on the cover sheet)

Getting ready to apply?

Two students with graduation caps hugging
Scroll to Top