The ESOL Program at Albizu University, Miami Campus, offers twenty-seven English courses to speakers of other languages giving them the possibility to enroll as international students. These courses are organized into nine levels. Each level takes a semester of 15 weeks. The contents of the first eighteen courses in Levels, I to VI are on General English for the students to acquire the English language and be able to communicate fluently in real-life situations in the American context, or in any other English-speaking country.
Track A: Oriented to Health Professionals
The last nine courses, Levels VII to IX, track A, are oriented to more specific purposes, including Medicine and Health. For example, Level VII, English for Health Professionals (EHPs) Low I, II, and III is the beginning of three semesters aimed mainly at doctors and health professionals who need the English language and the medical terminology in English to pass their exams and be certified to practice their profession in the United States.
Track B: Oriented to the Arts
The last nine courses, Levels VII to IX, track B, are oriented to the field of Arts. In these courses, the ESOL students take Introduction to American Media, Cinema and Literature.
Available in the following locationsMIA
Non-credit certificate consisting of: 9 levels / 27 courses
3 years (can be completed in less time depending on MTELP score)
- This ESOL certificate is a program that teaches English for speakers of other languages and allows students not only to acquire English language proficiency, but also learn about the culture of the United States, including its traditions, regional and national celebrations, holidays, values, and other aspects. The program also helps students improve their pronunciation and develop effective academic and business writing skills.
- Our ESOL certification classes are small (maximum 15 students). We advise international students that have secured a student visa to pursue the ESOL program at Albizu University’s Miami Campus.
- Many ESOL course alumni continue their studies in one of Albizu’s academic fields, such as the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs in psychology, education, and human services.
- This certificate is offered on-site.
- Assignments are to be completed using Rosetta Stone Catalyst, which allows students to practice written and oral English language skills at their own pace.
- ESOL certification is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and licensed by the Commission on Independent Education of the Florida Department of Education.
- All ESOL faculty have at least completed a Master's in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Moreover, some professors have academic credentials in linguistics, languages, secondary education, and other related subjects.
Completion of the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP) – administered by Albizu University is required for admission to this program.
This program is accredited by the MSCHE and is licensed by the Commission on Independent Education of the Florida Department of Education.