Program Aims & Competencies
The program has a clearly specified philosophy of education and training fully compatible with the mission of its sponsor institution, Carlos Albizu University, and appropriate to the science and practice of psychology. The main aims and competencies of the program are as follows.
To prepare competent clinical professionals in health service psychology according to the theories, methods, and findings of scientific research and scholarly works; high ethical standards; and a belief in self-reflective social commitment and responsibility.
To prepare students to become clinical psychologists who provide preventive services, comprehensive psychological assessments, and evidence-based psychotherapeutic interventions for culturally and individually diverse populations within an interprofessional/interdisciplinary context.
Upon the successful completion of academic requirements, students will demonstrate competency in:
- Ethical and legal standards
- Individual and cultural diversity
- Professional values, attitudes, and behaviors
- Communications and interpersonal skills
- Supervision: Demonstrate knowledge of supervision models and practices
- Consultation and interprofessional/interdisciplinary skills
These competencies are consistent with and adapted from the American Psychological Association Commission on Accreditation Standards of Accreditation in Health Service Psychology.